SCARA update - Feb 2011
Post date: Feb 28, 2011 9:48:52 PM
Annual SCARA Reunion Lunch date confirmed as 12/10/11, next Golf Day organised, and sad news about three former members of staff: Roz Wallace, Captain John Thorpe and David Barr-Miller...
Dear SCARA member,
Hope that year has started well for you and that we will get to see many of you at the 2011 SCARA reunion. We now have the date for both the reunion and for the golfing event.
1. The reunion this year will take place on Wednesday 12th October 2011 at the Connaught Rooms in London. More details to follow later in the year.
2. Adrian Malupa and Roger Brown have booked the venue for this year's golfing event. It will take place on the 12th May 2011 at The Stoke By Nayland Golf and Country Club, Leavenheather, Colchester, Essex. Please contact Adrian for further details ( firstname.lastname@example.org ).
3. Please visit http://www.ponlheritage.com/ and read the news stories. You will find an item written by Mike Chapman concerning the restoration of Sir Thomas Sutherland's grave and the publication of a new book. Sir Thomas Sutherland was P&O Chairman at the turn of the Century. The book has been described as an "excellent read".
Unfortunately we have received sad news concerning three ex OCL, P&OCL, and P&O Nedlloyd colleagues.
* Roz Wallace passed away 23rd January. Roz was not a SCARA member but some of you will remember her from Chobham Farm and later at Barking where she worked in the post room before transferring to the telex room.
* Captain John Thorpe passed away on 20th February. John was a SCARA member and will be remembered by seafarers and shore-staff. We understand that according to his wishes no funeral service will take place.
* We have also been advised that David Barr-Miller passed away recently but we have no other details. David was not a SCARA member.