Patrick Burrows

Post date: Apr 27, 2013 5:29:29 PM

Dear SCARA Member,

Sadly we have been received news that Patrick Burrows died peacefully in his sleep on the 26th April 2013.

A service to celebrate Patrick's life will take place on Friday 10 May 2013 at 12 noon at Penshurst Church, near Tonbridge, Kent TN11 8BN

and afterwards for refreshments from 1 pm at Penshurst Village Hall (walking distance).

Patrick will have been buried earlier in the day close to his father.

Instead of flowers, Patrick and Julia would prefer your donations to:


By car: the church is in the centre of the village on the B2176 Rogues Hill Road, next to the rectory and off Leicester Square.

SatNav: TN11 8BN

Parking: pub car park behind Leicester Arms or through arch towards Penshurst Place entrance on left of drive

By public transport: the fastest train link with regular service from London is Hildenborough (approx. 4 miles from Penshurst). Taxi should be called in advance:Streamline 01732 505050. Alternative is Tonbridge (6 miles), which has a taxi rank.

Julia has requested that anyone wishing to attend please email so that catering numbers can be assessed

Belinda McCormack (SCARA Hon. Sec.)

Wednesday 01 May 2013


We have heard the sad news that Patrick Burrows has passed away. Many will remember Patrick from his various roles with P&O Containers and P&O Nedlloyd in Beagle and Central House, London. These roles included RGSA Trade and Sales, and General Manager Marketing Systems with responsibility for the e-Commerce systems.

Patrick kept an online diary for the last two years which he used to keep friends and former colleagues up to date with the progress of his treatment for a serious, long-term illness. Anyone who has followed him at Patrick's Marrow Spoons will not have noted that his honesty and sense of humour did not desert him.

Julia Thomas has circulated the news of Patrick's death through the following note:

Patrick died peacefully in his sleep this morning. The respiratory infection he had in February

reoccurred a couple of weeks ago and his remaining health declined as a result.

His courageous struggle over the past two years has ended, and thankfully, he no longer has

to endure the endless rounds of treatment, discomfort and pain. He is at peace.

He was moved from the Royal Marsden to a nursing home in Clapham only yesterday morning, so,

yesterday afternoon with the French doors opening from his bedroom into the garden, he was able

to enjoy the warm weather and cooling breeze sitting in his comfy chair looking out at the spring

flowers and blossom.

He took great pleasure in your texts, emails, phone calls and visits. There is no doubt they gave him

real joy and helped him cope with more difficult days.Thank you.

Funeral details will follow shortly.

With love,

Julia xx

We will obviously make the details of his funeral available here as soon as they become available.